Maidenhead United Reformed Church has its origins back in 1662, when the Rector of Henley left his living as a result of the Act of Uniformity. A few years afterwards a Congregational Chapel was erected in Back Lane, which is now West Street.
The main part of the present sanctuary dates from 1785, with modifications in the 19th century and recently in 1988. We became a United Reformed Church in 1972 when The Congregational Church in England and Wales united with the Presbyterian Church. In 1981 the Churches of Christ were added to our number. The Congregational Union of Scotland joined the United Reformed Church in April 2000.
The United Reformed Church remains a small denomination in the United Kingdom but our membership of the World Alliance of Reformed Churches unites us to a large and worldwide fellowship of churches within the Protestant tradition.
In the United Reformed Church each local church is responsible under God for its worship programme and its witness and service to the local community. We observe the gospel sacraments of baptism and holy communion and submit ourselves to the Bible as the highest authority for our faith and action.
We hold a regular church meeting of members, and an elected body of elders shares the pastoral and spiritual leadership of the congregation with the minister.
The United Reformed Church is committed to pray and work for the unity of the church. We are a member of Churches Together in Maidenhead and work in close co-operation with all local churches.
In January 2014 the buildings behind the church were demolished to make room for new commercial facilities including a hotel and an underground car park.
Today a broad range of activities takes place in the church buildings, run both by the church and organisations from the community of Maidenhead. New residents in Maidenhead are given a warm invitation to join us in worship and other activities.
We need new people to grow and continue God’s work in Maidenhead. We would love you to join us.